On this page

We know that sometimes things can go wrong. When this happens, we want to know about it so that we can put things right. 

The information below sets out how you can make a complaint and what we'll do.

For further details, please contact us for a written copy of our complaints policy and procedure.

What is a complaint?

A complaint is an expression of dissatisfaction, however made, about the standard of service, actions or lack of action by Sanctuary Scotland, its own staff, or those acting on its behalf, affecting an individual resident or group of residents.

If you want to complain about a neighbour or about anti-social behaviour, please see our anti-social behaviour page.

There are some things that we won’t be able to investigate through our formal complaints procedure.

How can I make a complaint?

We want to make it easy for you to tell us if you are unhappy with something.

The easiest way to complain is online using the complaints form.

You will need to provide as much information as possible to help us investigate your issue, including:

  • What has happened
  • When it happened
  • What the impact on you and your family has been
  • What you would like us to do to put things right

You can also contact us through any of the ways explained on our Contact us page, including by phone to our Customer Service Centre.

What will we do when we receive your complaint?

We handle all complaints in line with the Scottish Public Services Ombudsman’s complaint handling code (new window). When you make a complaint, we will:

Stage 1: Front line resolution

  • We aim to resolve complaints within 5 working days from the point you first contact us.
  • We will tell you the name of the member of staff dealing with your complaint. If we can’t resolve your complaint we’ll explain why.
  • Those unhappy with our response can have their complaint move to stage 2

Stage 2: Investigation

  • If we can’t resolve your complaint at stage 1, we will investigate further. We aim to complete investigations within 20 working days.
  • Complainers receive a full written response with the outcome.
  • Those dissatisfied with our stage 2 decision can ask the Scottish Public Services Ombudsman to consider our response.
  • We will tell you how to do this when you receive your outcome.

Factoring and mid-market rent service complaints

If you are unhappy with our response to a complaint about our factoring or mid-market rent service, you can complain to the First-tier Tribunal for Scotland Housing and Property Chamber. We can tell you how to do this.

Housing support complaints

If you are unhappy with a housing support service provided by us, you can complain to us or to the Care Inspectorate (0845 600 9527). If you have exhausted our complaints process you may also contact your local authority's supporting people team.

Make a complaint