Search the website

Bulky waste and fly-tipping

On this page

What is bulky waste?

Bulky waste is essentially things that are too large or ‘bulky’, or awkward for normal rubbish collection.

It can include things like old furniture, appliances, toys, large boxes, etc.  If you need to dispose of any household items that do not fit into your bins, your local council may operate a bulk refuse collection service. To check whether this service is available in your area, contact your local council. Please note that there may be a charge for this service.

If bulk refuse collection is not available in your area and you have items that are too bulky or awkward for normal collection, you should use public refuse sites. These sites also have recycling facilities for glass, cans, textiles, paper and engine oil. To find out where your nearest site is, please contact your local council.  You can find your local council using this webpage.

What is fly-tipping?

Fly-tipping is the illegal dumping of waste, and it is a crime.

Unfortunately, lots of different waste is fly-tipped and sometimes in our communities. Illegal fly-tipping can include household appliances like fridges and washing machines, waste from building and demolition work, animal carcasses and vehicle parts like tyres. Even hazardous waste such as oil, asbestos sheeting and chemicals is dumped illegally

The most common type of fly-tipping is household waste.

Disposing of bulky waste

Most bulky household waste can also be taken to your nearest public refuse site.

Your local council may run a bulk refuse collection service for household items too big for your bin. There is often a small charge for this service, but it is far less than the fine for illegal fly-tipping.

What should you do?

Your safety is the top priority and some wastes can be hazardous, so it is important to be extremely careful.

Anyone fly-tipping is doing so illegally, so it’s unlikely they will welcome being approached or you taking photos. However, if it is safe to do so, take down as much information as you can and report it to us directly via our the form below. We will need to know what has been dumped, where is has been dumped, and by whom, if possible.

What will we do?

We can step in to remove and dispose of illegally fly-tipped bulky waste, but there is a cost involved, which is charged back to the building, as a shared cost between all residents, via your service charges.

If we identify that the illegal fly-tipping was by one of our residents, then we will take enforcement action as this is a breach of your tenancy.

Report fly-tipping